Thursday, June 14, 2007

My life in Books by Lori

Newsweek has a section within its Periscope section that gives authors a chance to share five books that were most influential to them. I thought I would offer my own selections.

1. Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingsolver. I've always liked Kingsolver and the messages she tries to impart within her writing, and this book was no different. I suppose the environmental aspect makes it my favorite among hers.
2. Candide by Voltaire. I read this in high school and read it again, and again, and again. It’s one of those books that I find something new every time. Or even if I don’t, it’s still damn funny.
3. Old Path White Clouds : Walking in the footsteps of the Buddha by Thich Nhat Hanh. This is a thick book that intimidated me at first, however once I got into it, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
4. Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx. This is a recent book I read. I think Keith gave it to me. Anyway, this is some amazing writing.
5. The Brethren:Inside the Supreme Court by Bob Woodward and Scott Armstrong. I read this in high school government class and it taught me more about the judicial system than any text book. Thanks Mr. Baum.

A book on my bookshelf that I just can’t finish:
Underworld by Don DeLillo. It even opens with the classic scene of the Giants beating the Dodgers in the 1951 National League pennant race. Still, I couldn’t get through it.

I could go on (To Kill a Mockingbird, Pride and Prejudice…) but I won’t. There are so many great books out there and so little time. Feel free to post a comment about your favorite or most influential book.

No comments: