Friday, July 06, 2007

Food

I have decided to make an entry about the amazing food we have been consuming. The few times we ate at restaurants have been good, but I have been venturesome in my own cooking.
Mom gave Jeff a cookbook by Jamie Oliver, who is known for his cooking show on the Travel Channel. Kent and I happened to see this guy’s program when we were down in Edisto Island with the Butlers and he was in Puglia (where we are now) cooking for the Italians. The show is quite good and I must recommend his books.
Some things that we tried:
Fried ricotta, very easy and yummy. It’s fried. It’s cheese. What more do you want. I can’t wait to make this back in the states.
Boiled greens. Not too exciting but yummy when dowsed in olive oil and a little salt. Plus it’s so frickin’ cheap and you’re getting your veggies.
Spaghetti with mussels. This was the real deal. After 4 years and 4 trips, I finally got the nerve to buy some mussels at the market and cook them up. (I fell in love with mussels the year I went to Glen Cove, NY for my great grandma's 100 birthday party. Mom, Nonna, Uncle Joe, Ruth and I went to an awesome Italian restaurant and order it up for the table. yummy.) It is super easy. And again super cheap (I bought 2 euros worth and it was enough to feed 5-6 people).
Kent's plate of spaghetti e cozze.

Francesco, the mussel man. He plays basketball too and may be coming to the United States to work at his uncle's Italian restaurant in Houston.More experimenting to come.

1 comment:

jazzolog said...

Wow, love this blog: just like being on vacation along with ya! OK, obviously I finally checked my Yahoo mail...and found out how to spell Lori. Duh.
I decided to dive in here because of the nostalgia. Yeah, mussels does it. Lived off 'em, and blue fish, kelp and dandelion greens one summer of back-to-the-land---err, sea really---out around Montauk. We tried blue fish everyway we could think of, including in sushi. Yum.