Thursday, October 16, 2008

Building Take One

Many of you are asking how the house building is coming, so I am posting a blog about it.  I'll include lots of pictures over the next few months, so you can keep up.

In case you haven't heard, the plan is to transform the garage into the new living space.  We are going to take the roof off and add a second floor for 3 bedrooms and a bath and put the roof back on.  The first floor will be a kitchen, family room, and entry way with bathroom and washer/dryer.

The starting dimensions are 24x24 feet.  We are going to add six feet out towards the existing house, a few punch outs, and a deck.  Our total living space will still be under 12oo square feet.  This is pretty small, but still bigger than the 800 square foot house we are in now.  Eventually, we will knock down the current house and make it a garage/storage space.

Here is a side view of the garage as if you were standing in Tony's side yard and looking west.  This punch out is going to be a window seat.  There will be one on the other side that will expand the dining area. 


The first thing we did was reinforce the posts from the garage on the South side.  Kent and I dug trenches 30inches deep or so and poured footers.  Let's just say that digging sucks.  I don't even dig in my garden if I can get around it.  But we have beautiful footers now.  Then we laid the cement block down and piled up the dirt.
In this picture, the deck is framed out.  This wall faces south, so we are putting in a sliding glass door where the big hole is in the middle and 2 big windows on either side.  This weekend we may get the wood to finish the deck.  Hopefully, we'll get the windows in next week.


I hope this video works.  It shows the inside.


If you call our house and we don't answer, we are probably outside working.  So stop by, say hi, grab a hammer...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What is happening in that video? I hear music, what I think is a chicken, and see Kent giving some hand gesture.
It looks really great

Kent and Lori said...

The music is on the radio. Crazy chicken music. I can't speak upon the hand gesture. I think he is waving. Come over and see us.