Monday, January 15, 2007

Columbus, Ohio

Columbus, Ohio, aka, Cowtown, Clumpy, will-they-ever-be-done-with-I-270-town.

We went to the capital on Saturday to attend the 40th birthday party of our friend, Paul (aka Devo). I can't believe we have friends reaching this milestone in age. Criminy, Kent will be 37 this year, although, I shouldn't broadcast this, because of our age difference. I will be 29 (again). The party was a good chance to catch up with some Columbus frisbee folks, and then we spent the night at the Breglias.

After a great breakfast of waffles and omelets, the four of us headed downtown to the Columbus Museum of Art. Degas and Kehinde Wiley were the featured exhibits of interest. The Degas show was very crowded. It featured his landscape work, which isn't the stuff he is known for. Nevertheless, it's interesting to see the variety of work by a particular artist. He dabbled in many mediums; painting, printmaking, sculpture. He even picked up photography in his sixties. Apparently, though, Degas was a bit of a pompous ass and womanizer.

After the museum we went to the North Market to get lunch. ummmmmm. yummmy food abound. This very cool indoor market has a multitude of eating establishments to choose from. I went with the Middle Eastern place, since I've been on that kick for awile. Kent and Doug got Italian. Gina got a hotdog and popcorn. (She's preggers. Enough said.) Then the best part; ice cream!. There is a place called Jeni's, and they have crazy flavors: salty caramel, Thai Chili, butternut squash with pralines! But I went with an old favorite I found in Italy. Queen City Cayenne. Yep, dark chocolate with cayenne pepper. This is such a wonderful mix of flavors that I highly recommend it to anyone, even if you don't like hot foods. (I sure don't) As long as you like chocolate, you'll enjoy this. We left with some treats to take home and back to Athens we went.

2 comments:

Owen said...

If I were Degas I'd be a pompous womanizer too!

By the way, you guys need to figure out how to log in separately so your posts will have your names on them! It's just freaky trying to figure out who's doing the talking. Maybe this?

Anonymous said...

Oh Columbus how I miss Capital City. Wait, I don't miss Columbus at all , but I can't get on their case as they are probably still hurting from the Ohio State game. If they would have won I could have said to the Italians "Look Ohio won the National Championship" and then I could have claimed I went there.

Jeff