Monday, April 23, 2007

Spring is back

Spring is moving right along here in Athens. The weather finally has returned to springlike temperatures, and my garden is coming along as well. Peas, lettuce, broccoli, and cabbage all look great. I didn't mean to buy the cabbage, but it was mixed in with some broccoli sprouts I bought. I don't really like cabbage, but if it grows well, I will find something to do with it. Even if I have to give it away.

My perennials are doing okay too, after that fake spring and hard frost. Earlier in April when it was in the 80's for a couple of days, everything came out. Then those 4 consecutive 20 degree nights damaged alot. I wasn't sure if the hostas would pull through but they seem to be doing okay. The ferns froze as well but I saw new shoots today. The cool thing is that I think it damaged the honey suckle. hahaha. Screw you honey suckle, the bane of my existance. The new bright green leaves were all shriveled up and turning brown. It gave me another week or so to get on top of it and get it under control for the year.

2 comments:

Jeff Gromen said...

Honeysuckle sounds like a nice plant. Why do you have to be hating on it?!!!

Kent and Lori said...

Because it takes over EVERYTHING! It is an invasive species and it must be controlled (or taken out as is my preference.)