Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Duty

I have performed my civic duty today (and yesterday) by serving on a petit jury. This means I got to witness the inner workings of our judicial branch. I have to say that I do not understand why people want to be judges. They have to sit alot and listen to hours of testimony and fancy talk by attorneys. I could barely take it for 2 days. The case was a robbery. I think the guy took b/w 100-200 bucks. and now he's going to be sent away. I hope he used that money wisely.

This is a picture of our elustrious Athens County Courthouse. Kent took this in the summer, so it's recent.


I can't think of any funny or interesting story from the trial. It was nothing like on tv. And the people weren't nearly as pretty. Except me, of course. ;)

I would serve again, if I had nothing better to do, and maybe if it was in the winter when I don't mind being shut inside a building for 8 hours. But in the event that you get called and don't want to serve you can get out of it by stating that you don't think you could be fair and unbiased. I had my chance, but froze. It's hard to come up with something on the spot, plus I didn't want to look weak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You have served your nation well!