Saturday, March 01, 2008

On the Bongos... Phil Prudich

Last night, Kent and I went to a Jazz Concert at OU. The first group to play was a percussion ensemble that consisted of about ten students playing xylophone, drums, piano, bongos etc. There were four xylophonists (?) and one looked dead on Phil Prudich. He's tall, lanky, wears glasses and has the same hairline. Even his posture and nuances were Phil. Let me say now, that we were in the fifth row of the balcony, but still, in my mind it was Phil.

So the percussion ensemble plays their four songs or so and they leave. Then the Jazz Ensemble II come out to play. This is a more traditional band, with sax, trumpet, trombone, and bass. On their second song, Phil joins in on bongos! He only played that one song with them and no more.

By this time, that person on stage is Phil Prudich. When he comes out again with Jazz Ensemble I to play drums, I can't even think of this kid as anyone but Phil. I try to talk myself out of the concept, that this is just some college kid, blah blah blah, but I can't. No matter what I do, it's Phil. Phil is the master drummer. He's kind of the leader of the band, calling out "one, two, a one, two three four". It's crazy. The whole time he was out there it was Phil, in my mind. So, I guess the lesson here, is that Phil can play the drums.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

bongity bongity bongos....I deny everything, although I have to admit that I was, in fact, in Athens that night....

Matt said...

i was looking for phil prudich via google and surely if it includes athens and tall/lanky, it is the same one i know from the AT in 2001.

so, in that spirit, phil should hit me up... it has only been 6 years.

thanks and take it easy, random bloggers,
slowride

trogdor dot burney at gmail dot com