Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mid March

This past weekend, Ohio was hit by a late winter storm.  Athens only received about 4 inches of ice and snow, but the rest of Ohio 12-20 inches.  We didn't take pictures and I didn't blog about it here because I am sick of snow. It's mid march and I am ready for spring.  The crocuses...croci.. (what is the plural of crocus) are blooming in some warm spots, and the daffodils are on the edge of blooming.  Just waiting for that special day when the weather is warm enough. I even hear birds out there chirping away.  I know they are ready for spring. Bring it on.

I did participate in an interesting project on Sunday.  Making mushroom logs.  Now, I know you are thinking, southeast Ohio,   mushroom logs... heh heh heh.  But these were legit.  I joined my friend Molly and her permaculture club in making these logs.  This consisted of drilling holes in logs, stuffing the mushroom spawn down in the hole, and then sealing it with wax.  The process took a lot longer than we thought, and Molly and I spent six hours out in the country drilling, stuffing, and sealing.  It was fun, though.  I met some knew people and was reacquainted with some others.  These folks are all interested in sustainability, and there was some exchange of knowledge in that arena.  

Happy Thursday! It looks like it will be another sunny one!

No comments: