Wednesday, May 28, 2008

On a dark and stormy night...

Although the sky threatened rain with thunder, Athens remained dry throughout the night.  Except for the tsunami that hit our yard.

Let me explain.

Last night, I was in the spare bedroom on the computer and Kent was in our bedroom.  We both heard something topple.  At the same time, Kent thought he heard rain. I didn't hear anything out the back bedroom, but maybe it's only raining in the front of the house.  I went downstairs to explore.  

Nothing looked out of place in the house.  I stepped outside, and with the sky on the verge of darkness, I could only make out a bit.  But I could see that part of our retaining wall had fallen.  And it was wet there.  Soaking in fact.  But it wasn't raining.

Kent came out and turned on the light.  I grabbed the flashlight.  Yes, indeed.  Our wall had fallen down.  Now, there could be many reasons for this... Maybe the layers of brick that were stacked on top became too much for it.  Or maybe the stacks of wood were too much for it.  But what about all this water.  Nothing else around was wet.  Kent went over to get Jim, our neighbor,  and I went about investigating.

With the flashlight I followed the path of the water since I could see where grass had been pushed down.  I go up the hill and to our neighbors drive way to where I find the culprit.  It turns out they had a blowup swimming pool that was no longer holding the hundreds of gallons of water.  Instead that water rushed over the hillside and took out our wall.  

So we did have a mini tsunami that explained the toppling noise and the water sound.  



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good thing. That was like navigating back roads in rural Indonesia during the monsoon season while dark and fighting off giant bugs that could take more out of you than the local plasma bank.

Harrowing journey