Monday, August 18, 2008

random rant

I've noticed over the past year that the size of items in the grocery store have gotten smaller. Nothing exemplifies this more than ice cream. Most cartons of ice cream are no longer a half gallon. They are 1.75 quarts or if you are Breyers 1.5 quarts. What's that all about? Pretty shady if you ask me. Of course the price has gone up as well. Yesterday, I went to Kroger with my neighbors after we went berry picking. The abundance of blackberries and raspberries necessitated vanilla ice cream for accompaniment. While in the freezer section, I pointed out this change to my friends. Then we found good ole Country Club Ice Cream in the process of this transition. Some cartons were labeled half gallons others as 1.75 quarts. All for the same price, of course. From the front they look the same size, but upon closer inspection, the half gallons were deeper. Can't pull one over me (especially as it relates to ice cream). We bought the bigger size.

I suppose this may limit the American consumption of ice cream and maybe save us from adding on the poundage. But probably not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seriously. This led to swearing at our house. I didn't notice at the store, though. I noticed when I picked up the carton in the dark kitchen one night, and thought "say, this feels smaller...and lighter".

Maybe I shouldn't broadcast that.

Anyway, if they haven't gone small on you yet, Edy's will as well. Only the off brands have 1.75qt sizes anymore down here.

Kent and Lori said...

Phil,

Edy's has changed too. I say we lead a revolt. They can't do this to us. It almost made me stop buying Velvet. Which is my favorite. Maybe I should go back to B and J as I don't think the pint is any smaller.

ciao

lori