Saturday, February 28, 2009

Athens Update

It's the end of February so I thought I would give you all an update from Athens. Although things have been slow in the Gromen-Butler world, Athens is always changing.

First, the University Mall underwent a ownership change awhile ago and with it evolved a new name. The Market on State. Yep. That's what it is called now. It is about a quarter full with shops, and it seems a store leaves every month. However, they just added a new!!! store and it's a biggie. Dunham sports went into the old Kmart store. It just opened yesterday so I haven't been in it yet. I am not a big shopper and rarely buy new things, but a few of the things I have to buy new are shoes and sports bras. Now I have a place locally to do that. We do have a Hibbetts Sports store, but they carry one style of soccer cleat and a few running shoes. This store may prove useful. And if they sell swimwear, they will own the market in this town, since it is impossible to find a bathing suit here.

There is a new coffee shop in town. On the west side no less. I don't drink coffee so I don't go there much but I wish them luck. They are located right next to the bike path on Union, so I think they could gather a following. Oh yeah, it's called Moku cafe. I have no idea where the Moku comes from.

With additions comes substractions. Goodys left and so did Wild Mercantile. An upscale clothing store called Noir went to Granville where people could afford their clothes. 

The City of Athens has started a new trend of having Town Hall Meetings. The first one was last month and was well attended. Another one is coming up next week. The focus has been on how to implement the comprehensive  plan. It's too soon to see effects of the meetings, but I think it's a step in the right direction. 

2 comments:

Owen said...

I was in the Dunham store today while Chloe was playing at the mall's new play area and it seemed pretty busy. They've got lots of stuff that should go over well with the county's residents: guns, fishing stuff, camping stuff, and yes, swimming stuff.

The Moku cafe is nice, we stopped there a couple of months ago. They've got a great space inside with a nice view of the river. It's worth stopping for a scone or something if you're in the neighborhood with time to kill.

'A Tuscan view.....from Umbria' said...

Hey!

I knew I recognised the name. Your Jeff's bro/sis (I don't know which) and this ain't Athens Greece we're talking about is it?!

Thanks for the comment over at my place, you're right about Fellini he should've been right up there.

I had no idea you guys read the blog, I often check out Jeff because he always makes me smile with all his musings down in Brindisi.

I love your update on the mall compared with downtown Chiusi it sounds really cosmopolitan! We've got great coffee though. amanda