Friday, November 16, 2007

Cabbage

Cabbage is not one of my favorite things. In fact it's pretty low on the food chain and I'm a vegetarian. However, I mistakenly bought some cabbage plants last spring that were mixed in with the broccoli. I planted the cabbage in a poor part of the garden that doesn't get sun and I rarely water. I thought, if they live, they live. More power to them, but I doubted that I was going to harvest anything for myself. Maybe I could pawn them off on someone who eats that cr*p. Well, they did grow. But not great. Honestly, they were eaten by the bugs and not very big. Not worthy to give away. So I thought I would compost them, because I was still not enthusiastic about cooking them.

Well, now it's mid November and the peppers and tomatoes are done. Zucchini and squash and cukes have succumbed to the frost, and I am looking at the cabbage still sitting perky in my garden. I open up my trusty Mollie Katzen (she was a cook for Moosewood, a well known vegetarian co-op restaurant in Ithaca, NY) cookbook. I found some soups and stirfries that looked promising.

In the end I settled on a Caribbean Stew to serve with homemade foccacia. It was delightful. I was able to use the last of the sweet potatoes from the garden as well. Now all I have left is what's in the freezer, lots of dried tomatoes, some peppers, lots of pesto and some broccoli. I will be buying a lot more at the market now, or (last resort) Kroger.

Sorry I don't have a photo of the soup. It was quite colorful with the oranges and reds, greens and purple (from the onion). Maybe next time.

No comments: