Saturday, November 10, 2007

Pandora

I am here to enlighten you all to a website called Pandora.com. Maybe you have heard about it. Maybe you use it. If so, you can stop reading now. For those who are in the dark about this sweet "station" read on.

Pandora.com is the music genome project. Go to the website. Sign up. And then you create your own radio station by selecting the music yourself. You start out by choosing a song or artist. Then the website, in all it's wisdom, selects music that you would like that have similar traits to the original song you selected. You can add other songs. You can give the "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" to the songs it chooses for you.

I have 2 stations for my home listening pleasure, and one station at work. My favorite so far is my home station of "Emperor New Clothes" by Sineaid O'Connor. I love this song. It is probably the most played on my itunes. Then I added more artists like The Cranberries, The Cure, Erasure, Depeche Mode, 10,000 Maniacs. It will also come up with new artists I've never heard of or some that I have. The smiths were recently added as well as Sun 60 and Sonic Youth. Forget Satelite Radio. This is what I want to listen to.

One other added feature. If a song keeps getting played a lot, you can tell it "hey, I've heard this too much, don't play it for a month". Plus there is a fast forward feature.

Alanis Morrisette just came on, sweet.

2 comments:

Owen said...

Man, Kent, you listen to music like a girl!

Kent and Lori said...

yeah yeah, funny funny - mr owen. It's for the ladies....they like sensitive men.

I have been meaning to download Pandora for a while...a co-worker of mine has been listening to it for at least a year or two.

I have a station which plays The Strokes, SOnic Youth, Dinosaur JR, Radiohead, & White Stripes.

I am thinking about starting another station which plays classical music, Bach, Beethoven, etc.

KENT