Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Pizza Review

Kent and I have talked about doing food reviews on the blog and since we went to Lucky's tonight I thought I could write about the Pizza scene in Athens. Now, since it's a college town, pizza is way overdone here. However there are a few saving graces when it comes to a good pie.

Usually, my go to pizza place in town is Avalanche. They have a great crust, organic sauce and yummy toppings (sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, pesto to name a few). But, you can only get it to go. Tonight, we met up with Jenny and Travis for a night out before we all left for the holidays. Originally we were going to go to Salaam but they were closed, Casa had an hour wait, so I mentioned Lucky's. (I haven't been to Lucky's since the mid nineties when Sean Lynott and I would go there for pizza and beer. I always remembered it as being some fine pizza, but it was a smoky bar too.) Now with the smoking ban, that made it a viable option. We decided to give it a try and I got to relive some of my fond memories.

The pizza was pretty good. The crust tasted garlic-buttery. The toppings were fresh and the cheese and sauce in good proportion. I would have to say it's second best in the city behind Avalanche but above Courtside. Then I would have put Goodfellas (but only if it's late at night and you have the munchies after a beer or two.) Then the chain pizza places, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut and Dominoes dead last.

There is one other pizza place in town that we haven't tried yet. It's new and I like the concept. All the ingredients are from local sources. It's called Della Zona (from the area). Great in concept and it's owned by a local bakery that has quality stuff. I am sure it's good pizza too.

So there you have it. Lori's guide to pizza in Athens.

*This review does not reflect the opinions of Kent.*

** Although, he did manage to eat 7 pieces of the pie tonight **

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kent is a pig

-Mike D